Login

Thursday, 

September 14, 2017

3:00 – 8:00 pm - Rain or Shine



Some Featured Private Houses



235 Summit Avenue


Built as a duplex in 1878 by Charles Noyes    

This Victorian era home is one of the few remaining examples of Second Empire architecture in St. Paul, and is the 4th oldest house on Summit Avenue. 




322 Summit Avenue


 Architects:  Cass Gilbert

Built in 1886 by architect Cass Gilbert, this double house is one of a kind on Summit Avenue and rare for St. Paul in the 1880s. It is built of purple Sioux jasper in a Richardsonian Romanesque style with Queen Anne detailing and was commissioned by William H. Lightner and his law partner George B. Young. 
 






324 Summit Avenue
 
Architects:  Cass Gilbert

Originally built in 1886 as a double home for approximately $24,000 by law partners Lightner and Young, this residence was occupied by George B. Young and his family. It is important to note this was the first residential home on Summit Avenue designed by Cass Gilbert.

 





370 Summit Avenue
 
Architects:  Clarence Johnston

The home he built stands out on Summit Avenue with its red brick exterior and elongated front fa├žade. The single story curved portico, originally designed with a roof balustrade, allows for viewing of the beautiful Palladian window above, and the entrance is nothing short of grand. Originally a single family residence, the home was divided into three condominiums in the 1980s .  Only one unit will be open for the tour.   
 






385 Portland Avenue


Architect:  Clarence Johnston

This handsome home of Georgian and Neo-classical styles was designed by Clarence Johnston in 1902 for James H. Skinner, a prominent wholesaler of furs, who later founded the Merchants Trust Company. The cost to build the home was $25,000 with an additional $5,000 to construct the carriage house.



432 Summit Avenue
Burbank-Livingston-Griggs House

Architect:  Otis L. Wheelock

The Burbank-Livingston-Griggs House is one of the most famous and distinctive homes in Minnesota and listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Its unusual past is filled with small changes made by a succession of owners, a major renovation in the 1930s, and recent division into rental units, allowing the main core of the home to be successfully preserved.


Main floor only




421 Summit Avenue

Architect:  Marshall & Fox

Built in 1912, this two-story home of neoclassical and renaissance styles was designed by the architectural firm Marshall & Fox of Chicago. Marshall & Fox also designed the Shubert Theater in St. Paul in 1910, now known as the Fitzgerald Theater. A third-floor penthouse was added in 1991.    

Main floor only





453 Ashland Avenue


You wouldn’t know it from the outside but this Queen Anne Victorian home possesses one of the most beautiful main floor interiors on the tour. Built in 1887 at the cost of $12,000 by the architectural firm Mould and McNicol, the home was constructed for Channing Seabury, a local grocery wholesaler 

Main floor only





72 Kent Street

Craftsman and Mission bungalows became a nationwide phenomenon in the early 1900s. Main design themes of the movement were simple styles, natural materials, with emphasis on construction techniques. Designs include everything from works by masters like Frank Lloyd Wright, California’s Greene and Greene, and contemporaries, to mail–order specials from Sears Roebuck. Ramsey Hill has few homes from the Arts & Craft period, so this well preserved home is a particular neighborhood favorite.



476 Summit Avenue


Architect:  Clarence Johnston
 
There is no doubt that the Chauncey Griggs house is one of Summit Avenue’s architectural landmarks. In its diverse history, it has been  the residence of distinguished citizens, the home of a respected art center, a playground for the rich, and the reputed home of strange activities.    



478 Holly Avenue


Walking into the home, guests will immediately notice the enormous  entry foyer and hall, as well as the beautiful stained-glass windows, the most unique of which is located in the formal stairwell. The details on the cherry fireplace mantles and the wrought-iron floor grates are original, as is the dining room radiator with bun-warmer, used to keep rolls and breads warm during meals. 



96 Virginia Street

In 1873, when newlyweds John and Harriet Hattie Kelliher selected four spacious lots on Virginia Street to build their Second Empire Italianate home, this area was still considered “suburban”.   As you approach you can see why they built here.  This lovely shaded street, just off Summit was an ideal place to raise a family, and Hattie had been familiar with it all her life, as her father had once owned the surrounding land for several blocks in all directions. 



Sponsored by


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software